April 22, 2015 marks the 25th anniversary of Earth Day, a day we celebrate the birth of the modern environmental movement. Today we celebrate Mother Nature and highlight the different ways we can help save the planet in our daily lives while working for any tech-savvy company.
Here are five steps you can take to help save the Earth and build sustainability into your daily operations:
- Switch computers off at the end of the day
- Computers should be turned off at the close of business and on weekends to save energy. According to IBM, by telling their employees to turn off their computers for at least one hour each day, can save the company $1 million per year in energy cost.
- Use recycled paper and double side Printing
- Using recycled paper not only saves trees but it also helps to save energy, water and landfill paper. The recycled paper produces less pollution that is essential for a healthy environment. In efforts to save trees, double side printing will be a great start. By using half the amount of printing paper, you will in turn save some money while being eco-friendly.
- Use the Cloud
- The cloud is a network of servers that can store all your saved documents and data with accessibility from anywhere. The cloud gives you the capability to share documents with coworkers without having to print. Using the cloud gives you the opportunity to save energy and the earth by reducing the need to print documents.
- Source energy efficient servers and VOIP Phones
- Brands such as Cisco provide a program named EnergyWise on their products that measure and control energy between the network devices and endpoints. Company’s such as CablesAndKits offer products that are energy efficient to helpful in more than the intended reason.
- Use a laptop instead of a desktop computer
- Laptops use less power than a desktop. Most desktops consume between 70 and 200 watts while in use, while laptops use between 15 and 60 watts. Laptops tend to use less electricity than a desktop in turns uses less energy.
Many times we overlook the one thing that can be a huge energy drain- our computers. Let’s help out our beautiful world and make a difference!
Did we miss any helpful tips? Comment and let us know or tweet us @cablesandkits using the hashtag #EarthDayatCK