Today we caught up with the brightly dressed fiber cable, OM5 for an amazing interview. We had the opportunity to take a deeper look into what makes OM5 who he is, and how he is related to the other fiber cables.
CK: What’s the meaning of your name?
- OM5: Well OM stands for Optical Mode and the number 5 is the numeric mode identifiers for my type of cable. Back in the day, the homies called me “Cinco”, but that was back in the yesteryears. We don’t discuss that period of time.
CK: Would you consider yourself the future of multimode?
- OM5: Of course I would. Did you forget who I am? I am Sir Multimode McMultisome, who heirs over all fiber cabling. Who am I kidding? On a serious note… since I have a wideband and a core size of 50 and a cladding size of 125 microns I am THE future of multi-mode. Speaking of the future, have you tried out these nifty Google View Finders? Supposedly I can see into the future with these.
CK: Where could we most often find you chilling at?
- OM5: You can usually find me hanging out in a pretty sweet data center that’s filled with servers, switches, routers, SFPs and more. I have a pretty close-knit group of friends but I tend to keep us all connected.
CK: When’s the last time you’ve hung out with OM4?
- OM5: I actually saw OM4 in passing the other day when I moved into this new data center but didn’t have the chance to chat with him. My friend Dan, the cable installer set me up in this new location but took OM4 to another side of the building.
CK: Describe a day in the life of Mr. OM5
- OM5: Well, I’m sure you can tell, I’m kind of a flashy dude in my lime colored outfit. I must admit, I wear this outfit every day because I like the attention I receive, everyone recognizes me in their data centers. Does that make me pompous? Nah, I don’t think so!
CK: Give me 2 adjectives that you would use to describe yourself.
- OM5: The top two that come quickly to mind are supportive, I was made to support multiple relatively short wavelengths between 850nm and 953nm that can be aggregated for higher bandwidth applications. I would also consider myself compatible, as I am fully compatible with OM3 and OM4 cabling.
CK: What’s your greatest quality?
- OM5: I believe my greatest quality is that I can support 100G applications. My other fiber friends can’t support as much as I can. Call me Mr. Macho Man.
CK: Is there anything else you would like our guest to know before we wrap up?
- Ya know, I come from a very long lineage of great multimode fiber cables. We’ve been known to have versatile connectivity solutions with high capabilities and reliabilities for local area networks and data applications. Since I’ve stepped on the scene I believe I will be able to take this family further and expand our reach.
CK: Well there we have it. Sir Multimode McMultisome has shed some light into his super-fast lifestyle and we have learned a lot. Take a look at all of CablesAndKits OM5 fiber offerings as well as the entire fiber line up on our easy to use fiber selector tool. As always, we are happy to offer our Lifetime Warranty on all products and same day shipping.
If you missed it, check out the super speedy OM4 fiber’s tell all interview: The Super Speedy OM4 Fiber Tells All .