In This Issue: OM5 Fiber | Friday Encouragement | News to Start Your Day
It’s National Wear Your Pajamas To Work Day! Today was created originally to allow us to have a reprieve after meeting a late-night deadline shuffling receipts and adding columns to file our taxes. For some of us that are working from home, pajamas might just be an everyday thing, and some of us sure are jealous of that!!
The CK Daily – That New House Smell
Hey everyone! Happy Friday…we made it!
Figured I would take the opportunity to update everyone on the house journey. It has been a crazy rollercoaster ride with its ups and downs (and scary upside-down twists and turns) over the last few months. At the time you are reading this, I will be meeting with the home inspector to begin walking through the final inspection of the new house. To say I am excited is an understatement!
I started on this wild adventure 4 months ago, everything from finding the lot, getting my house ready to sell, packing, moving, moving in with the parents, and then waiting…and waiting…and waiting. I think the waiting part has been the hardest but, strange enough to say, the most rewarding. The lessons I have learned during this time will stick with me – man about the process, many more about myself. I figured I would be a bit vulnerable and share a few of those with you that have been on my mind:
– The building process is MESSY! (As are most processes.) Seeing the “behind the scenes” process and issues with building a house is not for the faint of heart. It is awesome and exciting, but knowing and seeing every little detail, mess up, issue, and problem is a lot to process. When you see the finished product though it is worth it.
– Sometimes our routines need to be blown up. Change is scary but change can be good too. I cling to my routines out of a feeling of safety. Routines, for me, are places I can retreat from problems and just work through the motions. I have learned that sometimes those routines need to be blown up so I can grow, change, and see things differently. Sometimes we need to break away and blow up the routines to just do something different and gain a fresh perspective.
– Our “community” around us is always important…no matter what is going on. We all need support whether it is family, friends, co-workers, etc. The people we choose to “do life” with help us to stay sane, make decisions, lift burdens, and help stabilize us when those routines are being blown up. They are also a big help when you need movers too. haha!
Gosh, there are so many more and we all have different lessons we have learned through good and bad times/changes in our lives. I think our perspective has a huge effect on the eventual outcome of those changes in the process. While there have been many (ok, a LOT) of times that I have been frustrated, worried, mad, and bothered by the process of building a house (and there will probably be a few more while moving in), I have tried to keep my perspective right and stay focused on the good instead of the bad. That’s not always easy. Of course, all of you know that too.
Anyway, I hope you all have an amazing weekend and have fun plans. For me, it is exactly one week till I close on the new place, so I will probably be moving containers and buying stuff for the new place.
Below is a comparison of the house on January 9th compared to April 13th. That is just crazy, isn’t it?!?!
Product Spotlight & Updates:
Happy Friday! Today we’re taking some time to focus in on OM5 Fiber! This is a newer generation of fiber and you may or may not be super familiar with it, so we wanted to take some time to tell you a little about it! OM5 became an industry-recognized standard in 2016 and it can easily be identified by its lime green jacket. OM5 is also known as Wideband Multimode Fiber (WBMMF) and it was designed to operate over a wide range of wavelengths between 850nm – 950nm. OM5 is perfect for high-speed data center applications and it can transmit data at speeds of 40G – 100G! Even better, these cables are backward compatible with OM3 and OM4, meaning that you can use it in your network without updating all of your existing infrastructures.
Check out our brand new OM5 Fiber page to learn even more about these awesome cables!
Dealing with the Ups and Downs of Life
Once the ride starts, there’s no turning back. You are along for the ride and how you handle it determines whether it’s an enjoyable or miserable experience.
If you have ever been on a roller coaster you know it’s filled with twists and turns, highs and lows, excitement, anticipation, fear, and relief.
When I talk to people who are struggling in life and wanting to escape, I explain to them that if they were on a roller coaster for the first time and didn’t know the roller coaster continued on an upward trajectory after racing towards the ground they would want to jump off and escape to avoid a crash.
Unfortunately, that’s how a lot of people feel when they are experiencing fear, anxiety, and stress and riding an emotional roller coaster. They try to escape because they feel like they are about to crash.
The key, however, is not to escape but to keep going, knowing that even though you feel like you are going to crash, you won’t, and if you hold on, you’ll ride back to the top.
When you remind yourself that ups and downs are a part of life and your current emotional state is just a temporary part of the journey, you won’t resist the tough part of the ride. Instead, you will flow with it, your emotional state will rise and you’ll be on the upswing before you know it.
You can enjoy the rest of this blog post from John Gordon here.
Today’s News to Start Your Day:
- As of this morning, in the US, there are 6,876,445 active COVID cases, 24,770,986 have recovered and there have been 578,996 deaths.
- Amazon reported they spent $11 billion on video and music content in 2020, up from $7.8 billion a year earlier. The company ramped up spending on video and music content as consumers spent more time indoors and looking at screens amind the pandemic.
- Google Earth received its first big update since 2017. A new time-lapse feature lets you see how much the planet has changed in the past 37 years, and it’s pretty stunning what you can find.
- More than 700,000 Americans will receive a supplemental stimulus payment this week as the IRS continues to process 2020 tax returns. These “plus-up” payments, will be sent to taxpayers who received a third stimulus check based on 2019 income but qualify for more money based on their 2020 returns.
- Dogecoin has spiked 300% in the last seven days and is currently worth $34 billion. The skyrocketing price has led to worries of a potential bubble in the cryptocurrency market.