In This Issue: The 3850 Switch – Aurgh! Arugh! Arugh! | #TechTips | News to Start Your Day
Today is National Nurses Day and if there is someone to give a pat on the back or a big high-five to, it’s these people! What a year it has been for each of them! Thank you nurses for your commitment, dedication, and hard work!
The CK Daily – Getting Disconnected…not on purpose
You ever had one of those weeks where you have to stop and think, “What day is it again?” I have seriously been off by one day all week. Yesterday was a blur to me…what could go wrong did go wrong but in the most random way.
I woke up yesterday morning earlier than normal and jumped right into work. My dog just looked at me with that look of “this is way too early to be up” look. So about 2 hours into my day and after two large cups of coffee (thank goodness!), my internet goes down. The TV was still working, but the internet was down. Then the internet came back up and the cable tv went down. I should have known at this point that it was not going to be a normal day. Then they both went down. Sigh…it has begun…
After about an hour of working off of the hotspot on my phone, they both came back up. Yes! My excitement was short-lived after about 30 mins…EVERYTHING went down. Yep, the power went out. Mind you, we had terrible storms Monday and Tuesday and not even a blip of power or internet going down. Then the sun starts coming out and the problems begin. I continued to work off of the hotspot on my phone and off my laptop battery as long as I possibly could. My phone battery got down to 15% and that was it. I had to disconnect. Normally I would have gone into the office to work but my “smart” garage was on lockdown mode. The hits just kept coming…
The good news…after 5 hours of being without power it was finally restored. I felt like I was connected to the world again! It is amazing the feeling we have these days in the world of being remote when we get disconnected from being able to work, communicate, or interact with the world around us. It is one thing to purposely disconnect and a whole other ball game when we need to connect and can’t. It was nice to be able to step back from distractions and work on strategy and whiteboarding ideas that would have otherwise, even if wasn’t planned. (Kinda like what Corey talked about in Monday’s email and putting the phone away.)
Hoping today is a smoother day and I stay connected all day to knock out some of the ideas I came up with yesterday. Hope your Thursday is a productive one as well!
We’ve almost made it to Friday!
Product Spotlights & Updates:
Today’s product spotlight brings you to a beast of a switch, the WS-C3850-48F-S. What makes this switch a beast of a switch? Let me give you the highlights because it’s a long list!
First of all this Switch comes with 48 Gigabit ports with PoE and PoE+ capability up to 800 watts. Looking to connect some access points and worried about getting a wireless access controller? Worry not, because this switch comes with a built-in wireless controller with up to 40 Gbps of capacity. The switch also comes with some flexibility with a slot for an optional network module (that supports either 1G or 10GB capabilities), and it can be stacked via StackWise-480 technology, and the StackPower technology allows you to share power within a stack. With 4 GB of RAM, 2GB of Flash as well as redundant fans this switch pretty much has everything you need.
Can we get a Tim “The Tool Man” Taylor grunt?
We all love simple and easy tricks that will make your life easier and save you time! Today, we’re giving you a few tricks when it comes to typing on your PC!
– Move the cursor quicker to the beginning of the previous word by pressing CTRL+Left Arrow instead of doing it manually.
-To get the cursor to the beginning of the next word, use CTRL+Right Arrow.
-Recover a deleted item with ALT+Backspace.
-Delete an entire word by pressing CTRL+Backspace.
-Make superscript and subtext by pressing CTRL+= for sub, and CTRL+ for superscript.
-Paste in plain text and not what was originally formatted, after copying, by pressing CTRL + Shift + V.
Today’s News to Start Your Day:
- As of this morning, in the US, there are 6,692,782 active COVID cases, 26,035,314 have recovered and there have been 593,148 deaths.
- Moderna is testing a 50-microgram dose of its vaccine in previously vaccinated individuals. It found the booster does increased antibody responses against the original virus as well as the two variants that have spread to other countries.
- Elon Musk’s SpaceX launched and then landed the latest prototype of its Starship rocket. The flight was the fifth high-altitude test of a Starship prototype, and the first that ended without the rocket destroyed.
- Twitter will require a little more thought when replying to a tweet. They have released a feature that automatically detects “mean” replies on its service and prompts people to review the replies before sending them. Twitter users will have three options in response: tweet as-is, edit or delete.
- The latest production cuts from Ford due to an ongoing shortage of semiconductor chips will impact early production of its highly anticipated Bronco SUV. Aside from Broncos, other vehicles impacted by the cuts include Ford’s Super Duty models and Mustang.